Colleague Carl Bate [http://9times6.blogspot.com/] published a white paper on the significant changes going on in our society and affecting day-to-day business practices. Carl suggests 5 key questions to ask yourself in order to make use and/or cope with these fundamental changes:
- Which parts of your business model today are most susceptible to people bypassing the organization and doing it for themselves?
- Which parts of your corporate model are susceptible to employee bypass, enabled by consumer technology?
- What’s the future for your organizational investment in and management of information technology when the technology available to everyone is actually working?
- How can you develop and accelerate trust in the new business and societal security models?
- What new skills and decision making responsibilities are needed by your organization to embrace the opportunities and manage the risks of global connectivity?
I think these are excellent questions and would like to add one to complete the list:
- What type of culture do you need to provide for people to motivate them to work collaborative in support of your business goals?
I recommend the whitepaper – it provides a good start when dealing with these questions.